My Photosynth Links

Have anything you would love for other to see.

My Photosynth Links

Postby BHawthorne » 27 Nov 2010 19:05

Here are my initial experiments with Photosynth.

Hrrrm, the photosynth BBCode isn't working...
-Brad Hawthorne
BHawthorne

Re: My Photosynth Links

Postby olihar » 27 Nov 2010 19:37

When you are posting photosynth, only use the ID name

Code: Select all
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=8140399c-3b2f-4298-8027-be1cae9032ca

would then be

Code: Select all
[PhotoSynth]8140399c-3b2f-4298-8027-be1cae9032ca[/PhotoSynth]

I fixed it for you in your post.

See here for my list of Plugins I have made for the forums and how to use them
http://www.pgrammetry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17
Olafur Haraldsson
http://www.olihar.com
olihar
Site Admin

Location: Los Angeles - USA . Kolding - Denmark . Hafnarfjörður - Iceland

Postby BHawthorne » 27 Nov 2010 19:46

Ah ok. I thought I wasn't doing something right but wasn't sure.

Of the Photosynths above I think my favorite is the second pot. That is as dense a point cloud as I've ever seen on my Photosynths. It'll initially load then take about 10-15 seconds for the rest of the point cloud to render. If I recall right, the pot is a sequence shot with a Sony Bloggie 1080p flash camcorder and Photosynth processed with 10fps on the frames.

I'm processing one of the front of my house right now that looks like it might be a good example too. The aircraft, car and ejection seat ones I found interesting because of the challenges they presented to Photosynth. The aircraft has a shiny canopy, the whole car is shiny silver and the ejection seat is black in a dark room.

Everyone is welcome to use these tile sets to experiment with. I have no issues with people using them to help improve how photo sets are processed.
-Brad Hawthorne
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » 27 Nov 2010 20:20

Here is the front of my house.
-Brad Hawthorne
BHawthorne

Postby dpm11 » 29 Nov 2010 19:22

Nice synths. Try any reconstructions yet?
dpm11

Postby BHawthorne » 30 Nov 2010 00:54

dpm11 wrote:Nice synths. Try any reconstructions yet?

No, not used to MeshLab yet. Probably in the next day or so.

Here is a new one of the house. It's much better than the previous one. This time around I set the Canon T2i to continuous shot, lens at 18mm, 4.5megapixel 2592x1728 and just walked around the yard holding down the button on continuous mode. 539 photos total. It looks a lot more complete than the other one.

Once it loads use the pan and rotate arrows in the screen to look around the point cloud. It doesn't seen to want to load up most of the points until it's been panned a bit.

Now that I know this method seems to work good I'm going to walk the local nature park foot paths and try and reproduce the nature park. My main issue is it's probably going to end up with 10,000 photos this time around instead of 539 if I keep the same walking pace. maybe I'll just walk one path and back initially to see how it does.
-Brad Hawthorne
BHawthorne

Postby dpm11 » 30 Nov 2010 20:09

I would suggest using synth export (http://synthexport.codeplex.com/) to download the pointcloud if it's your first time using Meshlab. Once you're comfortable with using meshlab with the synth export, try your hand at Photosynth Toolkit4. I would also suggest to use one of the first two synths you showed above since they seem to have dense, object-centered point clouds.
Here's a brief description which I copied from my google doc at https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... 2fysannjt9
Let me know if you have any questions.

4_A. Synth Export
a. Download Synth Export (http://synthexport.codeplex.com/)
b. Export pointcloud in .asci
5_A. Meshlab (or viewing software of choice)
1. Import pointcloud.ascii into Meshlab
2. Remove unwanted points (Point select>Delete Point)
3. Save cleaned up image as .ply
4. Compute Normals: Filters>Normals, Curvatures, and Orientation>Compute Normals for Point sets. This filter has a single parameter for the number of neighbors. I leave the parameter set at the default value which is 10 neighbors. (50-100 worked better for brain. b/c it was noisy??? many points???).
5. Generate a mesh using the Poission reconstruction. The function can be found under: Filters>Point Set>Surface Reconstruction: Poisson Reconstruction.
This filter has four parameters. Click the help button for more information on the parameters. It is important to read about their function as altering the parameters profoundly changes the results. I typically use the following values: Octree Depth = somewhere between 10-12, Solver Divide = either 7 or 8, Samples per Node = 1 (default), Surface offseting = 1 (default). This can be quite glitchy-I’ve found that Octree Depth=11 and Solver Divide=7 tends to work so I’ve stuck with that.
6. If the resulting mesh is a bubble (which it very often is), remove the unwanted parts of the bubble. This task is performed using the triangle selection tool and the triangle deletion tool. Both of these are on the tool bar. They can be found near the point selection and deletion tools.
7. Remove edges with faces. This function can be fund under Filters> Cleaning and Repairing> Remove edges with faces longer than...

Color:
Filter>Sampling>Vertex Attribute Transfer Function
Make Sure the original pointcloud is selected up top and the poisson mesh is selected down below
Default level (2?) should be good enough.
dpm11

Postby BHawthorne » 01 Dec 2010 01:05

Excellent. I'll try that tonight. MeshLab kept on crashing out on me the last few times i tried it though. That's mostly why I've not gotten far with it's use. Also I've been messing with SFMToolkit1 but I've got something that has been crunching on a photo set in Bundler for 2 days now with a constant 25% CPU use. The console window just shows a _ at the top left. I'm assuming it's still doing something though as there is no indication of lockup in task manager. I really wish these apps had better indicators as to their status when in use.

I'm also sending the test set of pics through Arc3D and Photo Scene Editor to see how they do.
-Brad Hawthorne
BHawthorne

Return to Showcase